Last Updated on August 13, 2023 by Matt Musico
Looking for the best BBCOR bats for when you step into the batter’s box? You’re in luck! With so many options on the market, it can be tough to know where to start. That’s why we’ve got you covered here.
In the below article, we’re going to touch on a number of topics, all related to BBCOR bats. Most importantly, we’ll talk about what they are and what BBCOR actually stands for. We’ll then go through some top picks before detailing what to think about when choosing your bat, and how to best care for it.
Disclaimer: This article includes affiliate links. We may receive a commission for any purchases made after clicking them. When making a purchase online, be sure to do enough due diligence before buying a product.
What Are BBCOR Bats?
BBCOR stands for “Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution.” It was implemented in 2011 by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to regulate the performance of non-wooden baseball bats.
BBCOR bats are designed to be safer and more consistent than their predecessors. They have a lower “trampoline effect”. That means the ball comes off your bat at a slower speed to help reduce the risk of injury.
BBCOR bats are made from various materials, including aluminum, composite, and hybrid. They must have a drop-3 length-to-weight ratio and a barrel diameter no larger than 2 5/8 inches. They’re also required to go through lots of testing to make sure BBCOR standards are indeed met.
Highly-Rated BBCOR Bats
There are lots of great BBCOR bats out there to choose from. Here are some of our favorites at various price points (that also come with great reviews):
- Marucci CATX BBCOR Baseball Bat: $379.99
- Easton Project 3 Alpha XL BBCOR Baseball Bat: $159.95
- Rawlings 5150 BBCOR Baseball Bat: $199.98
- Louisville Slugger 2020 Omaha BBCOR Baseball Bat: $139.95
- Demarini CF BBCOR Baseball Bat: $240
- Easton SPEED BBCOR Baseball Bat: $79.95
What are some of the best BBCOR bats on the market in 2023, you ask? Here are three to check out:
- Rawlings 2023 ICON BBCOR Baseball Bat: $499.95
- Louisville Slugger 2023 Select PWR BBCOR Baseball Bat: $449.95
- DeMarini 2024 Voodoo One BBCOR Baseball Bat: $399.95
Choosing Your BBCOR Bat
When looking for the best BBCOR bats that will fit your game, don’t forget to consider your personal preferences and playing style. Here are some other things to keep in mind.
Measure from the center of your chest to the tip of your index finger to figure out which bat length is best for you. Use a size chart to match the measurement to the appropriate bat length. Using a bat that’s either too long or too short will impact your swing speed and overall performance at the plate.
The weight of the bat should be based on your size, strength, and hitting style. A heavier bat produces more power, but a lighter bat allows for quicker swing speed. A balanced bat weight distribution can provide the best of both worlds. Again, this is a personal preference situation. Try swinging bats of different weights to figure out what works best for your own game.
In your search for the best BBCOR bat, be sure to do your research. And not just of different brands and models. Find out what other people are saying about them. Amazon is great for that because the reviews are on each product page. Also, keep league/organization regulations for BBCOR bats in mind to ensure you’re buying a bat that’s compliant with the rules.
Bat Care Tips
Proper bat care can help extend the life of your BBCOR bat. Here are some tips:
- Store in a cool, dry place: Keep your bat away from extreme temperatures and moisture to prevent damage.
- Clean after each use: Use a soft cloth to wipe down your bat after each game or practice to remove dirt and debris.
- Avoid hitting non-regulation balls: Those can cause damage to your bat and void the warranty.
- Rotate your bat: Rotating your bat in an effort to evenly distribute the wear and tear can extend its life.
- Avoid hitting on hard surfaces: This should go without saying, but hitting your bat on hard surfaces can cause dents and damage the bat’s performance.
- Use grip tape: Grip tape can keep your bat from slipping out of your hands and protect the handle.
- Use a bat sleeve or bat bag: A bat sleeve or a baseball bag can help protect your bat during transportation and storage.
Finding the best BBCOR bat can initially feel like a challenging task. But when you’re armed with the right information and know how you play the game, it’s much easier. Baseball bats are important because they’re an extension of the player when they’re in the batter’s box. Finding the best one for your needs is kind of like finding your soulmate — you get very attached to it!
We wish you lots of luck in your search for the perfect bat. Once you find it, you’ll know it’s the one.
Want to see some homers in person this season? Of course you do. Grab MLB tickets from our friends at Vivid Seats. And before you get to the stadium, make sure you’re decked out in the right gear. Get your favorite team’s official merch from the MLB Shop or a ‘Big Dinger Energy’ shirt from our apparel store.